Thursday, March 10, 2011

Vinegar fumes

I hate to admit this, but I had a huge cooking flop tonight. But the story ends well. I saved it. I cook from scratch and do it often, but if you know me, you know I've been on a cruise and away from home and have not cooked a meal in 2 weeks. I guess this was just the way it was going to be tonight.

I could blame it on many things: the dog acting crazy, Cal kicking a basketball in the house, my neighbor stopping by to pick up something, but I won't. I think the excuse I will settle with is that my body and brain are off-kilter because I went from 85 degree temps to 45 degree temps in a matter of hours. I won't recover. My Southern blood got a taste of high temps and there is no going back. I'm not normally a tanning bed sort of gal, but I might have to sneak in there once a week just to be functional on my normal levels :)

So, want to know what I was making? Lemon Thyme Chicken with Roasted Asparagus and Zucchini with Couscous. Delicious.

I was at the crucial point where I had to add garlic, thyme, lemon, and white wine all in rapid succession. I managed to add the first three, then poured in a huge heaping helping (2/3 cup) of white wine VINEGAR. Did I mention that my husband loves this meal and did I mention that my husband HATES VINEGAR?

I texted him to say I had ruined the chicken, but then I got a little mad and decided I was not going to be beaten by my chicken disaster. Here's what I did:

I pulled the chicken out of the steaming vinegar sauce and put it on a plate. I poured the offensive liquid down the drain, washed the pan, then washed the chicken. Yes, I washed my dredged in flour, already cooked, beautiful golden brown chicken in water. Then I remade the sauce, submerged them for a dip, and served it up. Every bite was eaten.

So, Chris asked me why I said I ruined the chicken and after he finished his last bite I told him about my vinegar mistake. Not that he couldn't smell the vinegar fumes.....

No comments:

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker