Sunday, February 20, 2011

Gasp!.....oh well....on to the homemade yogurt.

So my gasp is due to what I saw when I logged into blogger. It has been an entire year since I blogged. And I really have a lot to say. I am sorta speechless about that, though. I'm not going to tell you why I haven't blogged because I really don't know. I'm not going to make promises that I'm going to blog more often because it seems that I'm not very good at making promises where my blog is concerned.

But, I do have some really cool things going on right now and it would be nice to tell others about them, so maybe.......

It amazes me sometimes (when I really think about it) at how much I am off the beaten path. I homeschool, I cook from scratch, I purchase local meats and produce. Shoot--right now I have about 1/4 of a butchered cow from Alabama in my freezer outside. We eat real food--no preservatives, dyes, etc. If I had a baby, I would use cloth diapers. In a few weeks, I think I'm going to venture into "grind your own flour" land......

so, it makes perfect sense to me that I would get excited over something like making my own yogurt. I have a friend that does it and she shared her technique with me. I tried it and it worked and I have some extremely good yogurt in my fridge now. My husband is repulsed by it. I could hardly get him to smell it and I know he won't try it. He's a good sport to put up with all my other things, so I'll let it slide.

I'll tell you how to do it. Oh, and sorry I don't have any pics like Pioneer Woman. I wasn't planning on blogging this until I got a gentle suggestion to blog it, so I am unprepared. Maybe I'll update this the next time I make a batch and add some pics. It's so easy that pics really aren't necessary anyway.

Here's what you need:

big pot
couple of quart mason jars and lids
whisk
candy thermometer
plain yogurt
1/2 gallon milk
small cooler
kitchen towels

So, boil some water in your big pot and sterilize your jars and lids for about 10 minutes. Remove them from the water on a clean towel. Pour your leftover hot water into your empty cooler and close it.

Pour your 1/2 gallon of milk into your big pot and heat over medium heat until the temp reaches 185 degrees. Remove from heat and place in a cold water bath in the sink until the temp lowers to 120 degrees. While you are waiting, put about 2 tablespoons of plain Dannon yogurt in each jar (you'll need 2 quart jars). Once your milk is 120 degrees, pour it into the jars, put the lids on and shake them up. I vent the lids at this point, just to get the air out.

Now, empty that hot water out of your cooler and put a few kitchen towels in the bottom. Put your jars down in there, but don't let them touch each other or the sides. Wrap them up with more towels around the sides and tops and close the cooler. Do this quickly so your cooler won't cool off.

Leave the cooler alone for 10 hours. Don't pick it up, move it, or open it. You will be VERY tempted to open it up because you will want to see how your yogurt is doing, but don't do it!

You can leave the yogurt in the cooler this way for 8-16 hours, but my friend suggested 10 so I listened to her. It was the perfect amount of sour taste for me too. After your time is up, put your jars in the fridge. Once it's cold, it's ready to eat. I do open my jars before I put them in the fridge--I just wanted to see what it looked and smelled like.

That's it--seriously. And, it's so much tastier and certainly cheaper than buying yogurt in the store. You will be amazed when you've done it and you might feel like more of a woman.....like that you might could survive if you suddenly were dropped into the late 1700s....but maybe that's a bit much. Just sayin.

1 comment:

elise said...

sounds awesome! sounds like it will make quite a bit too. where do you get your local meat? i'm looking for good sources! i need to buy some more mason jars too- between the stocks, yogurt, nuts, and veggies i'm going to run out! gimme any money saving tips for buying natural & whole that you have too! i need all the help i can get :O)

Lilypie Kids birthday Ticker
Lilypie 4th Birthday Ticker